Tuesday 17 July 2012

gazing bottle



Lately, I've been trying to come up with clever ideas/activities for my toddler that help him learn to feel calm and relaxed, often in the context of naughty behavior, but I want the calming activity to be positive, not punitive. I've been doing guided imagery with him to help him fall asleep for naps and have been looking for ways to help him have a "time out" that are not punitive. He's not even three; he doesn't need to be punished so much as he simply needs to learn what is appropriate and what is not.  He needs to learn and be taught life skills. This approach to discipline can be difficult to maintain and put into practice in the heat of a dangerous or naughty moment. However, it is something I strive for.

Here is a simple craft that I mad today for him ( and one for my 9 month old daughter too). I think it will help. It was super easy to make.

You will need:

a clear plastic bottle
water
glycerin
glitter
assorted beads, marbles, small toys (that fit through the mouth of the bottle)
food colouring
superglue
your imagination


Fill the bottle with water, add beads/toys, glitter, glycerin and one or two drops of food colouring. When you are happy with the result, super glue the cap on (my toddler can open anything, hence the glue). Shake and give to your toddler.



This can be a go-to  toy that you can hand to your child when you can see that they need a breather. It will not keep your child busy for long. But that is not the point of it.  I found that today, even if he gazed at it for a minute he was calmer and had a moment to "reset."



xo Jo

No comments: