Sunday 22 April 2012

hearty coconut raisin lentil soup. Mmmm Mmmmm Good!




As is typical for me, I find a recipe I like, I read it, then walk away and go and do something entirely different, having had an idea in the meantime. I had read a recipe for lentil soup the other day and that got me thinking about lentil soup. I couldn't remember what that recipe called for, but that didn't stop me. Nor did I bother to go back to my computer to read it again. I just went in the kitchen and started making something. When I went back to the original recipe, the only ingredient mine and the original had in common was lentils. I do this all the time. You never have to worry about me stealing your recipe and claiming it as my own!

It was good. Really really good. I think you should try it.

Here's what I came up with.

Chop some onions and garlic and add to melted butter in a soup pot. Add paprika, coriander, cumin, dry mustard, some dry chili flakes and saute until fragrant. Admire the beautiful colours and aroma.



Add red and yellow lentils and continue to saute. Add carrots and keep sauteing . Again, admire the colour and enjoy the fragrance.



Add raisins. At this point, the mixture is probably starting to get dry and starting to stick to the pot. I added a large yogurt container sized clump of homemade frozen broth. You don't have to use homemade, but it would be better. I make sure I always have a ready supply of homemade broth on hand. It can be vegetable, or meat broth. The easiest way to do this is to always boil your bones. I've always wanted to say that.



In all seriousness now, this is what I do to ensure a steady supply of broth. Whenever I make ribs, I boil the ribs for about 1-2 hours before grilling them. This ensures that after grilling, they will be crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth tender on the inside. It is the only way to do ribs. I sometimes add garlic, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves to the rib water (not to be confused with ham water...heh), but sometimes I leave it plain. I never salt it. I sometimes add pepper and chili flakes. When the ribs are done and ready to be grilled, I save the broth and freeze it in old yogurt containers.

Back to the recipe.

After adding the frozen broth, I added a 1/2 cup of water and a little while after that, after the liquid in the pot had reduced a little, I added a can of coconut milk. I always use Arroy -D brand because it seems to be the only widely available brand that does not add a bunch of junk, like preservatives, to the coconut milk.

Continue to allow this boil and add more liquid- as in water- as needed. I let mine cook for about 45 minutes.



It was so yummy I couldn't stop eating it. And nutritious too. Lentils are super good for you.

Furthermore, "Lentils are rich sources of protein, folic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, essential amino acids and trace minerals. A 100 g serving of lentils contains 60 g carbohydrates, 31 g dietary fiber, 1 g fat, 26 g protein, 0.87 mg thiamine, 479 μg of folate and 7.5 mg iron. Among the winter growing legumes, lentils have the highest concentration of antioxidants." 
Check out this site to learn more about the goodness of lentils.

Here is the list of ingredients. I didn't measure anything when I added it- I never do, so you will just have to use your judgement according to the quantity you want to make, and adjust ratios according to your preferences. You could add a little chicken or pork if you wanted, or even a mild sausage if you want meat in it.You could add other veggies. Peas would taste good in here too.

onions
garlic
paprika
dry mustard
coriander
chili flakes
cumin
carrots
red and yellow lentils
raisins
broth
coconut milk
water
a little love



xo Jo

No comments: